Monday, January 6, 2020

T N Chaturvedi: The Last Best of the Lot, is no more.

T N CHATURVEDI: THE LAST BEST OF THE LOT IS NO MORE.

I had an occasion to relate to  three Chancellors, who are invariably the Governor of the State in State Universities. When I was a Registrar of Bangalore University (1996-2000), it was Kurshid Alam Khan, and when I was the Vice Chancellor (2002-2006) of the same University, it was initially V S  Ramadevi (who appointed me as VC) and later on it was T N Chaturvedi. All the three of them were excellent personalities, two of them were highly accomplished bureaucrats and Ramadevi was a Lawyer. They used to call us often, enquire about the University's progress, and even gave suggestions. On the whole, they were very supportive, had lot of concern, for the cause of higher education. They all were totally apolitical while dealing with the matters of  University. Once, Ramadevi even warned me to be careful about some people who are out to create troubles in the campus for their selfish ends! Perhaps it was the first, and the last, time that all the VCs of Karnataka pooled together and gave her  a send off with a fabulous gift when she retired. VCs had such a high esteem and regard for her.

 Chatuevedi showed such a lot of affection and respect that I was often moved by his gesture. He even wanted me to give my published papers that I think is important ones. One of the paper I gave was on drawing some insights from our ancient wisdom for the development of higher education, and he liked it so much that he said that he won't return it although I had told him it was the last reprint left with me! When he retired, he moved to New Delhi. Whenever he visited Bangalore I used to get a call from Rajbhavan, where he used to stay, for a chat. How I regret now that I did not make use of that opportunity most of the time owing to my prior engagements. We have lost him. May he attain sadgati.

All the three of them were totally uncorrupt and incorruptible as well.

How fast and rotten the things have turned out now. Subsequent men have sullied their office and the cause of higher education in karnataka almost irreparably lost . Most of the VCs appointed during the subsequent regime are facing several charges of corruption, facing enquiries and  in all the cases where enquiries are completed the VCs concerned have been indicted, and against some of them even FIRs are filed and are facing imminent arrest. Corrupt Politicians and others in Power select corrupt  VCs and the corrupt VCs select corrupt faculty and with the politicians in power joining hands fully in the mela, education is doomed in karnataka!  

No comments: